Thanks for dropping by! The best way to navigate this blog is to stop by the index and select the label that interests you. Alternatively, you can flip through the blog archive, where you can peruse all the foods I have experienced and "reviewed." The exotic label should be a fun place to start if you're looking for suggestions. Dates in this blog are usually completely irrelevent--I tend to post my entries days (weeks, months, years) after I've actually written them.

Cheers!

News

2/21/10

Ahhh so behind. I just did a couple of very brief entries and basically a photodump of everything I've been meaning to upload. Consider this a reboot. I hope.

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Shake Shack [New York]

Appropriate that I follow up that In-n-Out entry with its biggest contender: the Shack Shack Shackburger. The place is a chain of sorts: 3 locations in the Big Apple. I visited the Upper West Side location, a few blocks shy of the 72nd street 1 2 3.

Now I'll be frank: this place isn't as good as In-n-Out. It's close. Very close. But it's a bit more expensive, and the taste just isn't quite up to par. Then again, with burgers like these:


I can understand why your average NYCer vouches for the Shack so vehemently. The shakes by the way, are also pretty damn good.

Taste:

I had the Double Stack, a happy combination of juicy beef patty, American cheese, lettuce, tomato, special "Shack Sauce," and fried portabello stuffed with muenster and cheddar cheese. It's a particularly thick burger, very full-flavored, lots of taste, dripping in burger-juice, mostly savory in nature. What puts this monstrosity a step above the rest is how they treat their mushrooms. Cheese stuffed fried portabello. Absolute genius. Never has there been a better match between mushroom and...uhh...anything? In the end, it's the mushroom I ended up remembering more than the burger.

They market the shake as 'custards.' Deeper in the description you find that they're combinations of soft serve and ice cream. A great combo. I tried the caramel milkshake--a perfect blend of caramel and light vanilla blended into a smooth, creamy drink somewhere between feathery and medium in thickness. Shake Shack does a good job of avoiding the two major flaws in most milkshakes: artificial flavoring and thickness.

Reflections:

A good experience. A filling burger. Slightly pricey (8.50 for the double stack, 5.25 for the shake), but a good time nonetheless. I mean, if you had a choice, In-n-Out all the way, but seeing as the two are a continent apart...this will suffice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh yum!! I loved shake shack when I was in ny, but I had never been on the west coast. I love in-n-out double doubles with grilled onions...so delicious =)