Thanks for dropping by! The best way to navigate this blog is to stop by the index and select the label that interests you. Alternatively, you can flip through the blog archive, where you can peruse all the foods I have experienced and "reviewed." The exotic label should be a fun place to start if you're looking for suggestions. Dates in this blog are usually completely irrelevent--I tend to post my entries days (weeks, months, years) after I've actually written them.

Cheers!

News

2/21/10

Ahhh so behind. I just did a couple of very brief entries and basically a photodump of everything I've been meaning to upload. Consider this a reboot. I hope.

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Sweetbreads [Egyptian in NYC; Kabab Cafe]


For a brief overview on the restaurant, check out the Lamb Cheeks entry.

Sweetbreads. In the Hannibal story, Red Dragon, Lecter is discovered because he has sweetbreads written in an anatomy book. As wiki tells me, sweetbreads refer to two organs of the body, the pancreas and the thymus gland. There is a bit of debate whether pancreas can be considered a sweetbread. Thymus is undoubtedly so.

Taste:

Not really like the name implies. Me being a naive little knucklehead, expected something sweet and starchy. The meat in sweetbreads is consistent, unlike something like stomach, whose fatty lining very clearly has two sets of textures. There is an element of sweetness in the meat, but it is quite subtle--something that resided more as an afterthought than an initial flavor. Of the dishes we had, this was the most delicate. That is to say, it didn't bowl you over with aromas, but won you over slowly, quietly, like slipping into a warm bath... (bonus points for whoever names that reference)

Reflections:

It's unfortunate that I can't describe sweetbreads better. When I was there, they were my friend's favorite. They're up there with Lamb Cheeks. I would try them again, in any kind of preparation. They really are a unique meat, and not in that politely unique kind of way--I mean legitimately unique, legitimately special and good.

No comments: