Thanks for dropping by! The best way to navigate this blog is to stop by the index and select the label that interests you. Alternatively, you can flip through the blog archive, where you can peruse all the foods I have experienced and "reviewed." The exotic label should be a fun place to start if you're looking for suggestions. Dates in this blog are usually completely irrelevent--I tend to post my entries days (weeks, months, years) after I've actually written them.

Cheers!

News

2/21/10

Ahhh so behind. I just did a couple of very brief entries and basically a photodump of everything I've been meaning to upload. Consider this a reboot. I hope.

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Miso Ramen [Japan]

Ah yes. The mother of all Ramens. The real deal. Its descendents have been my breakfast, lunch, and dinner for the past 4 and will be my sole sustenance next 4 years. Ok so you can't compare the actual Japanese ramen with the instant american kind. They're different enough to be considered different foods. Both of which though, are undeniably delicious. Well I take that back. Instant ramen is only delicious because you only eat it when you're dying of hunger, and at that point, anything tastes delicious.

Taste:

Intense. Instead of the lightly flavored, watery soup stock you might find in most Japanese soup noodles, the Miso Ramen uses a robust Miso soup as stock. Meats in the soup add to the strong Miso aroma, and the vegetables offer that welcome change in texture from meat to noodle.

Speaking of noodles, the real clincher in this dish is the texture of the noodle. The only way I know how to fully describe it is the Taiwanese phrase, "Q, Q." Roughly translated, "Q, Q" refers to chewiness. These noodles have that perfect balance between hard to chew and goopy. Instant ramen noodles just can't achieve that balance. Moreover, these noodles just taste better. Plain and simple.

My only real qualm with the Miso Ramen was that its flavors were a bit too strong. As I neared the end of the bowl, I found myself really aching for a glass of water. I found out later though, that the restaurant was known to season generously, and offered stock to dilute the soup down. A stupidity on my part I suppose.

Reflections:

Think to your last bowl of ramen. Think about those flavors. Now improve everything by a magnitude of 15. Now you've got a taste of what the real deal is all about. Good stuff. Too bad it's a world away.

No comments: