Thanks for dropping by! The best way to navigate this blog is to stop by the index and select the label that interests you. Alternatively, you can flip through the blog archive, where you can peruse all the foods I have experienced and "reviewed." The exotic label should be a fun place to start if you're looking for suggestions. Dates in this blog are usually completely irrelevent--I tend to post my entries days (weeks, months, years) after I've actually written them.

Cheers!

News

2/21/10

Ahhh so behind. I just did a couple of very brief entries and basically a photodump of everything I've been meaning to upload. Consider this a reboot. I hope.

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Chicken Liver Yakitori [Japan]

One would think that the understandings in modern biology would put people off to organs like the liver, kidney, and intestines. Shit holes of the body. Then again, it also makes sense that all three organs (in my experience) are also the most aromatic. That’s the draw I suppose.

The Yakitori (Japanese shish-kabob) shown here may not have its skewer, but rest assured, it is still very much Yakitori. Unskewered before I could snap my photo.

Taste:

Think of this as everything in a chicken concentrated in the yolk of a hard boiled egg, disguised as a nasty looking piece of meat. It tastes like Yakitori—barbecued somesuch sauced with a light teriyaki jig. The texture really does resemble the yolk of a hard boiled egg, but the similarity is only a slight resemblance: there’s no question that you’re eating liver.

Aroma is what sets this apart. Pungency only begins to describe it. Liver has a very distinct aroma, and it tends to smash into the senses like no other. It’s the reason why the French adore their foie gras I suppose. Anyway, it’s an aroma that can only be described as “liver,” and I don’t really have the words to describe it.

Reflections:

Liver is an acquired taste. I imagine much of its allure comes from people seeking for the ultimate aromatic experience—there is really nothing like it. Yakitori doesn’t necessarily bring out the aromas. Rather, it just adds that barbecue crunch to the whole deal. Needless to say, I’m not a fan, at least not yet. The odor is a bit too much for me.

No comments: