Thanks for dropping by! The best way to navigate this blog is to stop by the index and select the label that interests you. Alternatively, you can flip through the blog archive, where you can peruse all the foods I have experienced and "reviewed." The exotic label should be a fun place to start if you're looking for suggestions. Dates in this blog are usually completely irrelevent--I tend to post my entries days (weeks, months, years) after I've actually written them.

Cheers!

News

2/21/10

Ahhh so behind. I just did a couple of very brief entries and basically a photodump of everything I've been meaning to upload. Consider this a reboot. I hope.

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Pig's Blood Tofu [Taiwan]

Ah pig’s blood. We meet again. I remember fondly the last time I experienced you…around ten years ago, when a family friend thought I would enjoy a Pig’s Blood Cake (gelatinized pig’s blood). I did not enjoy it. I did not enjoy it at all. In fact I almost puked.

So I face you again, friend pig’s blood, though you are less potent this time around. My grandparents tell me that this dish is made using pig’s blood mixed into tofu mix. The result is what you see here.

Taste:

Nowhere near as unpleasant as I thought it was going to be. The best way to describe this dish? Awkward tasting tofu. Tofu with a strange aftertaste. I think it might be described as a very slight metallic aftertaste. Ultimately, it tastes overwhelmingly of tofu, and had I not known the name of the dish, I probably wouldn’t have noticed that hint of whatever.

Reflections:

Just goes to say: some things are worth another try. While this wasn’t unpleasant, it wasn’t anything special either. That hint of whatever that makes the difference between Pig’s Blood Tofu and just Tofu just isn’t that noticeable. I think I’ll just have to try Pig’s Blood again in some other, more pungent form.

2 comments:

Angela said...

EEW - tofu with lots of iron. Metallic iron taste. I'm gagging as I type.

Mango - LOOKS SO GOOD SO GOOD SO GOOD OMGOSH SO GOOD.

tamz said...

you ought to give duck's blood a try! It's a similar idea, except the texture is more...smooth? sounds gross i'm sure, but delicious i promise :)