Thanks for dropping by! The best way to navigate this blog is to stop by the index and select the label that interests you. Alternatively, you can flip through the blog archive, where you can peruse all the foods I have experienced and "reviewed." The exotic label should be a fun place to start if you're looking for suggestions. Dates in this blog are usually completely irrelevent--I tend to post my entries days (weeks, months, years) after I've actually written them.

Cheers!

News

2/21/10

Ahhh so behind. I just did a couple of very brief entries and basically a photodump of everything I've been meaning to upload. Consider this a reboot. I hope.

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Fried Chicken Cartilage [Japan]

I never knew there was an aversion toward eating cartilage and tendons until my friend’s girlfriend shirked in disgust when I pointed out tendons in the Chinese meatballs that we were eating. So this dish isn’t that big of a deal to me.

I will say though, that I’ve never seen cartilage actually isolated and cooked separately before. Tendons yes, but cartilage no. In fact, isolated, the cartilage really looks like chicken popcorn or whatnot. My Japanese hosts who brought us to this restaurant described the dish as “between two bones.” Between two bones indeed.

Taste:

Fried chicken. Because it is fried chicken. Texture’s the game here. Think soft and crunchy at the same time. Or even better: the tip of the last drumstick you had, that last bite at the edge of the bone. That’s cartilage.

Reflections:

So damn straightforward it’s hardly worth an entry, hence why this isn't getting that "exotic" tag. It was a pleasant eat though. Crispy outside with a nice crunch interior. Like popcorn but better. And tastier. Yum.

No comments: